Did You Know...
In 2005, 78 percent of Americans used the Internet for travel information and 82 percent of travelers planned their trips online?
Source: The Travel Industry Association of America's (TIA) annual Travel Forecast
A Rising Trend Among Pet Owners
With this high percentage of online users seeking travel-related information, it's not surprising that pet owners are spending more and more time on the Internet searching for reliable resources, including:
- 14% Dog owners
- 19% Cat owners
- 18% Fish owners
- 23% Bird owners
- 28% Small Animal owners
- 34% Reptile owners
Source: American Pet Product Manufacturers Association (APPMA)
Snapshot of Pet Travelers
- 14% of all adults in the U.S. (29.1 million) said they had traveled with a pet on a trip of 50 miles or more, one-way, away from home in the past three years.
- Dogs are the most common type of pet to take along (78%).
- 15% of travelers take their cats along.
- Travelers with birds represent 2 percent and with either a ferret, rabbit, or fish, 3 percent.
- Traveling with pets increases in the summer months when households take their pets with them on summer vacations.
- The primary mode of transportation is automobile or truck (76%).
- RV travel with pets represents about 10 percent.
- Airline travel with pets accounts for 6 percent.
- 32% of travelers with pets usually stay with friends or relatives.
- 29% of travelers stay in a hotel or motel.
- Many people prefer spending most of their nights with their pets in a camper, trailer, recreational vehicle, or tent (16%)
- Pet travelers staying in a cabin, condominium, or vacation home account for 10 percent.
- Women are twice as likely as men (43% vs. 21%) to indicate they lodged at the home of a friend or relative with their pet.
Source: Travel Poll by the Travel Industry Association of America (TIA).
- Approximately 65 million owned dogs are in the United States.
- 39% of U.S. households (or 40.6 million) own at least one dog.
- Most owners (65%) own one dog.
- 23% of owners own two dogs.
- 12% of owners own three or more dogs.
- On average, owners have almost two dogs (1.6).
- Slightly more male dogs are owned than female dogs.
- 18% of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter.
- Dog owners spent $263 on veterinary related expenses, on average, in the past 12 months.
- 72% of owned dogs are spayed or neutered.
- Approximately 77.6 million owned cats are in the United States.
- 34% of U.S. households (or 35.4 million) own at least one cat.
- One half of cat-owning households (51%) own one cat; the remaining own two or more.
- On average, owners have two cats (2.2).
- Slightly more female cats are owned than male cats.
- 16% of owned cats were adopted from an animal shelter.
- Cat owners spent $113 on veterinary related expenses, on average, in the past 12 months.
- 84% of owned cats are spayed or neutered.