Free Shipping on orders over $49.99 (800) 384-1450
Cart 0

Pet Import Requirements for Poland

Before you begin planning your travel to Poland one very important question needs to be answered and that is, if your pet is a dog, whether the breed of your furry friend is allowed in the country in the first place. While it may seem odd, many countries including Poland ban or restrict certain breeds. Breeds banned from entry into Poland include:

American Pitt Bull Terrier, Ca de Bou (Perro de presa Mallorquin), American Bulldog, Dogo Argentino (Argentine Mastiff), Perro de Presa Canario, Tosa Inu, Rottweiler, AkbashDog, Anatolian Shepherd Dog, Moscow Guard Dog and Caucasian Shepherd Dog.

Once you know that your pet is allowed in Poland, here’s what you’ll need to do:


Contact your Vet                                                                                                              

The first step is always to contact your vet to ensure your pet is safe to travel.  Some breeds of dogs and cats should not fly and are not accepted on most airlines.  Your local vet can also assist you with the process, paperwork, and vaccinations necessary for international travel. 



Poland, like most EU countries, accepts two types of identification, microchip and tattoo, however there are some restrictions. 

A microchip that meets the International Standards Organization (ISO) requirements is valid for Poland as well as all EU countries. Microchips available in the US may not be up to the same standards and if it isn’t the microchip scanners won’t be able to read it on your arrival. In this case you’ll need to bring a scanner that reads your specific type of chip.

Tattoos given prior to July 3, 2011 that are clearly visible are accepted for identification in Poland. As long as your pet's current rabies vaccination was administered after the tattoo was applied.


Vaccination Requirements:  

If your pet has a microchip:

Your pet’s rabies vaccination must have been given after the microchip has been implanted and at least 21 days prior to travel, and must have been given after 3 months of age. This requirement is meant to prevent the movement of puppies and kittens who have been vaccinated too young in an effort to comply with regulations. The vaccination must be current and be within the expiration dates of the vaccine. There is no additional waiting period for subsequent visits provided rabies boosters are kept up to date and the other entry requirements are met.

If your pet does NOT have a microchip or valid tattoo:

Your pet will need to be vaccinated again after the microchip is implanted and wait 21 days before travel.


Other Vaccinations

If your pet is entering Poland from a high-rabies country, they will have to undergo a Blood Titer Test. This test must be conducted at least 30 days after they have been vaccinated. Assuming acceptable results of the test conducted by an approved laboratory, your pet must wait 90 days from the date the blood was drawn to enter Poland to avoid quarantine.


Certifications and other paperwork

If you are traveling with your pet:

From Outside the European Union (EU)

In order for your pet to travel to Poland, you must have an Annex IV form for Poland completed by an accredited veterinarian within 10 days of entry.  The procedures to obtain an Annex IV certificate may vary by country of origin. 

From another EU Member State

Assuming that all identification and vaccination requirements identified above are met, an update to your pet’s EU Passport is all that is required. The only exception would be if they have received a rabies booster from a veterinarian outside the EU after the microchip was implanted.

Everyone entering Poland with a pet is required to sign a declaration of Non-Commercial Transport indicating that your pet's trip is not for the purposes of their sale or transfer of ownership.

If your pet is traveling alone:

From a non EU Member State:

Poland requires an Annex I form for Poland (bilingual version) be completed by a licensed veterinarian within 48 hours of entry. If your pet is traveling from the United States or Canada, the veterinarian must be accredited by the USDA or CFIA respectively and the Annex I form must be endorsed by the local USDA (United States) or CFIA (Canada) office. The procedure for obtaining an Annex I form may vary by country so be sure to verify in your originating country.

Unaccompanied pets arriving in Poland can only enter via an approved Border Inspection Post (BIP) at an international airport in Warsaw and you must notify the airport at least 24 hours prior to arrival.

 If your pet is traveling unaccompanied and entering Poland from a high-rabies country, the blood titer test described above is required.

From another EU Member State:

If your pet is traveling to Poland alone from another EU country, just have your veterinarian update your pet’s EU Pet Passport.  Use of company licensed for pet import/export that is registered with the governing authority in your EU country is necessary. Your pet must be accompanied by an Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC) completed within 48 hours of entry.


Young Pets

For puppies and kittens arriving from EU Member States or rabies-controlled countries, rabies vaccinations must have been administered at an age of at least 3 months and they are not allowed to enter Poland for at least 21 days after being vaccinated.

Young pets entering Poland from high-rabies countries  are required to comply with the Blood Titer Test above. The minimum age for entering Poland from high-rabies countries is 7 months of age. 


Flying with Birds

Always check with your airline well in advance of your trip to understand its bird travel policy. Not all "pet-friendly" airlines permit birds. If they do, it's important you find out about various restrictions, such as whether birds are allowed in the cabin, carrier size, bird size, species, etc.

  • If you are planning to fly internationally with your pet bird, you may find out that only cargo storage is acceptable. Even then, there may be restrictions on how many hours birds are allowed to stay in the cargo area.
  • As with other pets, be sure to obtain a necessary health certificate no more than 10 days prior to your flight and carry with you all important papers regarding your pet bird.
  • It's a good idea to have your bird banded when flying internationally.
  • Bottom line is to make sure your pet bird is comfortable when traveling by air, with plenty of room to move around in a travel cage, while still conforming to the airline's pet travel policies.


Airport Arrivals in Poland

Pets can travel as checked baggage or in the cabin with you. Pets entering by air from non-EU countries must do so at Border Inspection Posts at international airports in Warsaw, Gdansk, Krakow, Lodz, Poznan, Rzeszow, Katowice, Bydgoszcz or Wroclaw.

You will be required to complete a Transit Declaration if your pet travels through a high-rabies country.  The declaration states that your pet has not had any contact with rabies-carrying animals and that is has remained secured within the airplane or airport.  If you are traveling through another EU country, this is not required.

If your pet shows signs of any disease that may be communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Poland. They may be subject to further examination by a licensed veterinarian at your expense. This could result in quarantine or your pet not being allowed into Poland at all.


Have additional questions?

Check out the United States Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)  website for more information about pet travel to Sweden and other countries.


Managing the rules and regulations for importing pets into the many countries across the globe can be difficult. Not only because they can and do change frequently but also because it's hard to accurately say how enthusiastically a given country will chose to enforce the regulations or what the consequences of non-compliance might be. We attempt to ensure that the information provided here reflect current regulations but we strongly recommend that you verify the rules for the country you are visiting to avoid situations that could spoil the trip for you and your pet.


Sharing is Loving